Friday, March 19, 2010

7 Quick Takes Friday (Welcome Company Girls!)

Welcome Company Girls! Come in and take a load off. Help yourself to iced tea and lemon cookies because I'm in a decidedly spring state of mind today.

---1---
No matter how many great explanations I read about how we don't need to spring clean anymore, there's still something about the warmer weather and sunshine that makes me want to open the windows, air everything out, knock down the cobwebs, dust, declutter and scrub everything down. Perhaps I should go lay down until the feeling goes away. Or not.

---2---
My spring fever isn't limited to indoors, either. I'm ready for green, growing things again. I'm currently trying to decide what I want to grow this year in the planters on either side of my front steps. I'm taking inspiration from Katherine's $50 landscape scheme. I love seeing what others can do on a shoestring! My scheme is complicated by the fact that my front yard is on the north side of the house and most of the yard is in full shade all day. What do you have growing on the north side of your house?

---3---
As much as I want to go play in the dirt, I'm resisting. While my heart and mind firmly say "spring and sunshine", the weatherman is saying "snow and cold". What's up with that? This is Texas, not Minnesota or some other frozen northern clime. My apologies to those who live in those more frozen areas who are still staring at the cold white stuff outside instead of green grass and wild plum trees in bloom and think I'm a whiner. Sorry.


---4---
 The sewing bug is catching up to me too. I'm starting to think about sewing kitchen curtains and making a spring quilt for my bed and some spring dresses and skirts. So far I haven't gotten past thinking about it, but I am thinking about it.

---5---
 We've been enjoying our foray into trying out new recipes. We've added several recipes to our normal lineup. However, I found myself growing restless and avoiding the cookbook and couldn't figure out why. It hit me last night. I've been trying all the recipes that are different from what we usually eat and I'm suffering a serious withdrawal from Mexican food. I may have to stop and make some enchiladas or something and then get back to the new stuff. Maybe I'll check out some of the Mexican food recipes in the cookbook. I've been avoiding them because I don't really NEED any new Mexican food recipes. But you never know...

---6---
We have a busy week coming up and a busy month ahead. We have the usual church and school and house stuff to deal with plus several upcoming youth events. With all the craziness to come, I finally reached the conclusion that we don't have a slow season. I have so many things I keep putting off until things slow down and they never really do. This is my life and I'm learning to deal with it.

---7---
Speaking of dealing with it, I'll be helping out with a funeral dinner at the church on Saturday. This is bringing up a lot of memories and feelings. My mother and grandfather both died around this time of year.  I was so blessed by all the folks that rallied around us during our time of grief and shock. Now it's time to pay it forward. What kindness has been shown to you that you could pay forward sometime soon?

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, whether it's filled with sunshine or slush!

3 comments:

SpitFire said...

Mine is filled with sunshine. :P Now I've swiped yet another blog idea from you, I need to find something so outstandingly spiffy that you will be forced to copy me for a change!!!

Alicia said...

Sunshine in Florida! I was out planting it was so beautiful and I am not normally a green thumb!!
If the weather keeps up I will do spring cleaning, too!!

Marianne said...

I'm not sure if it is the air or the sun that makes me want to do spring cleaning, but it sure is easy to see all the dust and cobwebs come spring. And today I even did some gardening, if emptying some planters and cutting some branches counts? :)